Thursday, June 2, 2011

Highs and Lows

I am convinced that parenting is all extreme highs and extreme lows.

That there are moments of intense joy that I will remember forever and wish I could get back. When I look at a baby picture of Ella, I wish for just one more minute that I could hold her and give her a little kiss behind her ear. Or when I see Will's Moses basket that he slept in when he came home from the hospital...so tiny...so mine.

But let us not forget the lows and they are extreme. When Ella threw a tantrum to the point of vomiting and I thought "I am done. You can run the house. I have no idea how to parent." Or when Will stood up in the tub only to slip and fall...head completely under the water and two little scared eyes just looking at me. So I get him out and put his diaper on him....only to have him crawl back to the bathtub and fall in from the other direction.

That's parenting...extreme highs and extreme lows. Usually these moments are spread out a little but today I experienced the high and low all within seconds...

William took his first steps. He was so proud of himself that he could hardly contain it. I, of course, went to clap my hands but before I got to the celebration... Ella peed her pants.

And I thought "That's parenting."

5 comments:

Danielle said...

hooray for will taking his first steps!!! that is so awesome! get it on video - i wanna see! ;)

re: the other - man, you've really been through the ringer. throwing up??? i thought i had it rough with maddy. if this is what is to come... *waves tiny white flag* i give up!

Julianna said...

hahahaha. That IS parenting, couldn't have said it better myself.

The Bourne Family said...

Kira...your posts consistently make me laugh out loud. Your perspective on parenting is dead on and I am grateful for mom's like you who are truly honest about their parenting experience. Thanks for brightening my morning!

K said...

You should totally write a book! It would be a bestseller in the "Parenting with Humor" section (and if there isn't a section yet, your book would pave the way!).

Kim said...

Yeah. Amen.