Wednesday, October 6, 2010

New York, New York


We finally made the big trip to NYC. It is sad that we have lived in New York for over a year and just made it to that happening place..but alas..it has been accomplished.

The trip had all the essential stops. We went to Philly...saw some old buildings where important things happened, we saw the Liberty Bell behind a glass window, and even ate a philly cheesesteak. Then onto NYC where we rode a ferry past The Statue of Liberty, saw Battery Park, saw Wall Street and took the subway to Central Park (by the way, subway travel is not great if you have a fear of being touched). We also went to The Met and of course Time Square. Ella's favorite stop was the Giant Toy "R" Us. Mine was getting cheesecake. I think Chris's was the nap we took on the floor of The Met.

We then rushed back to the ferry...missing our stop on the subway and making it on the last ride over to get the cars. We arrived back on Staten Island after the garage where our cars were parked had closed so the soccer player and marathon runner of the group ran to the garage, hoping to make it in time (I know you might all be shocked to find out that neither Chris or I were the runners)..and luckily they were able to get the cars.

So, just like this post..the trip went by in a flash. Fun? Yes. Exhausting? Yes. Wanna go again? Yes (without the kids).


And last but not least...here is my favorite story from the trip:

On the car ride there we decided to stop around noon to eat. We had all packed lunches but it was seriously cold so we decided to see if Subway would be kind enough to let us eat inside.

Chris walked up to the counter and said "Hey, I know it is kind of white trash but we are just passing threw and need a warm place to sit. Would you mind if we ate in here? We promise to clean-up before we leave." They said that would be fine and we sat down to eat. After a few minutes Chris asked me if he could have another sandwich and I told him "No, I only packed one for each day." He then asked for some water and I said "Sorry, I forgot it". Ella started begging for cheese and I told her "Sorry dear but I don't have anymore." I am sure sometime during lunch I said my usual joke about how Chris will never get a real job and we will be living in a shack. And needless to say..before we left, one of the ladies that works there walked up, grabbed my hand and gave me a twenty. I was shocked...but then I looked at Ella in her handmade sweater and thought about all the things I had said and realized that we did sound like we were that poor.

So, Chris and I are thinking we are gonna try this bit everywhere we go and see if we can start making a little cash on the side.....

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow sounds like a fun trip! That story about getting the 20 at subway is too funny! :) lol.

Danielle said...

i can't believe y'all didn't just get a sandwich! chris is going to waste away with the budget you're on!!

cute pictures!

Unknown said...

Kira's been dying for a new camera for awhile. We took some other pics, but, well, they didn't turn out so great. Here's a link to a blog by one of the other couples that went. Our family even makes some cameos...

http://danlisa.blogspot.com/2010/10/nyc.html

Danielle said...

i went to that blog but couldn't see any pictures. boo.

K said...

Sounds like fun - even if you were "that poor!"

Love the pics of the kids and CAN'T BELIEVE how big and alert Will is!

Makes me miss ya terribly!

Sarah D said...

You guys are awesome! Totally sounds like a trip we'd do. We always look like we're toting our orphans with mismatched or no shoes.