Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I Never Saw It Comin'

So, life really is full of surprises or maybe it's just that Ella is full of them (or it)...however you slice it...I would have never guessed that after the first week of school Ella's teacher would be waiting in the hall to talk to me...

That's right y'all, my kid is getting in trouble at school...(as a side note, for some reason having a kid that is getting in trouble at school feels a lot like YOU are getting in trouble at school).

But seriously, look at her. So cute, So happy....


So crazy...

I never saw it comin'.

I will never forget that day her teacher was waiting to tell me that Ella was having a hard time following directions. She said in particular that when it was time to go outside Ella refused saying such things as "No, I won't go!!" "You can't make me!!" and my personal favorite. "Don't tell me!!" Her teacher of course made her and she was very unhappy the rest of the day.

Well, after my little talk with the teacher I assumed things were better. Her teacher kept saying, "Today was a pretty good day" so that is what I thought until we went to the school's open house. At this event all the parents played toys and looked at the pretty pictures their kids had made. All but us that is because we were too busy being talked to by Ella's teacher, the teacher's aid, and the speech pathologist. They each took a little time to come talk to us about Ella. They shared things with us like how Ella never wants to do what they tell her to and how she is too loud during circle time for the other students to hear and often has to be taken away from the group and it went on..Chris and I just kept looking at each other thinking "We had no idea it was this bad." Her teachers kept reassuring us but we realized..we are the parents of a trouble-maker...where did we go wrong?

I can say all this now because things at school really are better. She finally likes going to school and her teachers are now saying "Today was a really good day"(fingers crossed for the next open house).

But man ohh man does this little girl keep me guessing and really, I love it because I would be a bored mommy without her.

8 comments:

Danielle said...

what all did the speech pathologist have to talk to you about? wow, so crazy! i'm sorry you had to go through it but better now than later, right? and with chris & mike as the fathers of these children, i can only imagine what we'll be going through in 10+ years. *sigh*

Brittany said...

Definitely gets it from her dad :P

Rachel said...

Oh Kira, I can only imagine. Wow! I never would have guessed. I hope things really do get better for all of you guys. The whole time I read I thought. Poor Ella, and then poor Kira. I really would feel like I am the one in trouble not my child. I can totally relate.

Apricot Tree Planning said...

You guys take it all in stride! I love that about you. She's a handful but what awesome potential -- she'll never be a wall flower!! But it's great she's starting to "get with the program" :-) Hang in there!!

Sarah D said...

Sheesh, what a character =) I keep telling myself that Jacob's "strong character" will serve him well as an adult and I just need to help him focus it. So got any tips for me, anything that helped bring Ella around? Anyway, we miss you. When are we ever going to see you. I'm dying to see big girl Ella and new baby boy.

Jenny said...

I kind of love it. I'm sorry that you had to get in trouble, though. :( Just look at that cute face! And what character! Seriously, I love her. :)

Jenelle said...

She is so cute, Kira. I'm glad she's doing better at school. If YOU are the parents of the "class trouble-maker" then the world is in pretty good hands cuz you guys are awesome parents. We love Ella girl.

Anonymous said...

huh. she's good in nursery. Never had a problem with her. She does like to sit next to the other girls, but so do all of the girls :P

She also seems to listen to Sister Maisch well. I don't really tell her to do anything :P She isnt overly loud either. She is kinda silly when it comes to the 'head, shoulder, knees & toes' song & dance...but hey...most of the 2 & 3 years old and its a good chance for them to move :p