Monday, May 9, 2011

Say It With Me:

"It's Mother's Day and I am a good Mom."




Countless people have asked me, "Did you have a good Mother's Day?"

Well...I would have to say "well..maybe...kind of, a little" but I have decided to embrace a new kind of Mother's Day. I like to think of it more as a Mother's Day Challenge and man...did I rock the challenge this year....

Let me start with Exhibit A: Ella's Mother's Day Card

Now my little girl has got some mad art skills. She draws things way beyond her level and loves, loves, loves to make cards. So of course, she was so excited to make cards for Mother's Day. She made two beautiful cards for her Grandmas. She folded the paper so it opened just like a card,
wrote their names on the front and then drew them each a picture of herself (complete with princess crown).

Then there was my card. I am not sure what happened but I ended up with a piece of yellow paper with the bottom cut up, a small scribble, and big hole cut in the middle with a ribbon coming out of it (I tried to take a picture but it didn't turn out). I asked her what it was and she said she didn't really know.

Now on to Exhibit B: A Mother's Day Greeting

Now, I am sure you can picture with me all the kind things you would like your children to say to you on Mother's Day so you will know in your heart how much you are appreciated.

Here is how Ella chose to greet me on Mother's Day morning, "Mommy, I just love Daddy so much. I wish it was Father's Day."

Bringing us to Exhibit C and D: Mother's Day Sacrament Meeting

Ahhh, I little time to listen to speakers talk about how mothers are awesome. And this year, for the first time, I get to have my little girl go up with the primary and sing "Mother Dear, I Love You So." (a proud moment for any mother)

But wait, somewhere between Will deciding he did not want to be in the pew and Ella peeing her pants...I missed the part about me rocking because I choose to stay at home with the kids. And when the Primary sang, Ella refused to go up front and sing because in her words, "I only sing this song in Primary!"

But don't worry...I am not throwing in the towel on Mother's Day. I am just embracing a new tradition of the Mother's Day Challenge. Because afterall, Mother's Day isn't a day when the children wake-up and think "It's Mother's Day. I am going to play it cool." No, it is a day for me to prove that I do rock as a mother. That when my kid uses my new shirt as his Kleenex, I'm not going to get upset...no way, It's Mother's Day and I am a good Mom. And when my skirt is colored on, you won't see me frown because, "It's Mother's Day and I am a good Mom." And when the goldfish spill and the song isn't song or the "I love you" said...you won't see yelling at the kids...no not on this day, because "It's Mother's Day and I am a good Mom!"

6 comments:

K said...

You rock in all kinds of ways as a mom! Especially in the way you accept, encourage, and LOVE Miss Ella and her very independent and creative personality, and that makes me one of your biggest fans!

And, just remember, that even if she didn't say it out loud, deep down Ella is one of your biggest fans too (she just might not have realized it yet!).

Love you!

MaryAnne said...

I felt that way a lot of the day too. Annie had several fits and I kept thinking to myself, "Today I'm going to celebrate that fact that I love doing this, DESPITE moments like these".

Heather Jewell said...

This made me laugh so hard! Glad I wasn't the only one who was just trying to survive the day.

Celeste said...

I wish I was the editor of some famous newspaper so I could hire you as a columnist. I love your perspective. And hearing Ella's particular ways. She does do a great job of singing in primary by the way. And just to reiterate the fact, you rock as a mom :?).

Gillian said...

Ella is one-in-a-million, and she has a one-in-a-million mom, too. I love how deeply you feel about being a good mother...it helps me remember that I don't just happen to stay home with my kids, I made hard choices to get myself here! Anyway, around here, we love Ella! There is no one, NO ONE as entertaining as Ella.

PS...Peter didn't 'get' mother's day either. The day after I heard him yell "Happy Mother's Day" to one of the workmen walking by our house.

Kristylee said...

What a good attitude! As each Mother's Day goes by my expectations lower. You are absolutely right... everything goes wrong that day. So I'm going to try to take your advice next year!